We are fast approaching the Authorisation to Practice (AtP) period and you will have the opportunity to donate £30 to the Unit.
In 2016 over 50% of the Bar donated to the Unit. This optional donation was only introduced four years ago and it is testament to the Bar’s commitment to pro bono work that over half of all Members make this contribution. This simple and convenient donation option results in a significant portion of our funding.
The £30 initiative has meant that over four years the Unit has facilitated the Bar to:
• provide advice and or representation on 3,849 pieces of work;
• help 1,521 people;
• set up four major duty schemes: Rolls Building, Central London Family Court, Central London Employment Tribunal and Court of Appeal; and
• collaborate with multiple front line agencies to support litigants in person.
It has also meant that internally the Unit could:
• hire two new caseworkers;
• implement a comprehensive database to support better working;
• upgrade its IT hardware;
• streamline processes; and
• begin to digitise its services.
To continue this work in 2017 we invite you to remember the Unit when you renew your practising certificate, and if your chambers renews on your behalf please let them know that you wish to donate to the Unit.
All at the Unit are so grateful for your support, and on behalf of all our applicants who have access to justice through the Unit, thank you.