A bar mess is an association of and for barristers practicing in a particular geographical area.
The aims and objectives may include
- to promote and represent professional interests of its members
- to assist with consultation undertaken in connection with the law and/or the legal profession
- to provide information and/or assistance in matters of professional training, behaviour and continuing professional development
- to promote and maintain the highest professional standards in the practice of law
- to liaise with the local judiciary over matters of mutual concern and interest
- to provide opportunities for social exchange involving members and others concerned with the practice of law